When it comes to achieving the perfect smile, cosmetic dentistry has become a popular option for many people. While dentists and cosmetic dentists will have undergone the same training and carry the same qualifications, the technology they use and the care they provide may vary.
In this blog post, we will discuss the role of the dentist in achieving the best results with cosmetic dentistry and provide tips on how to find the right dentist for your needs. We also answer some frequently asked questions people have about cosmetic dentistry and choosing the right dentist for you and your oral health needs.
Dentist versus Cosmetic Dentist
Cosmetic dentistry is not a recognised specialisation in Australia. To become a cosmetic dentist in Australia, a person must complete a bachelor degree and register with the Dental Board of Australia. They may also consider different post-graduate studies to further their education in different areas of dentistry, such as orthodontics, paediatric dentistry, oral medicine, periodontics or prosthodontics.
A dentist focuses on:
- Preventing and treating oral problems and diseases.
- Providing general dentistry, including checkups, fillings, cleans, detal crowns, etc.
- Fixing cavities, repairing teeth and other general dental problems.
- Performing hygiene appointments and teeth whitening treatments.
- Concerns with the overall health of the teeth and gums.
A cosmetic dentist focuses on:
- Enhancing the appearance of teeth, gums and the overall smile.
- Providing cosmetic dental services, including teeth whitening, veneers, crowns, implants, gum contouring and more.
- Creating personalised treatment plans that takes into account the patient’s unique facial features and smile goals.
- Using the latest technology and techniques to ensure the best possible results for cosmetic dental procedures.
How to Choose a Cosmetic Dentist to Help You Achieve the Best Results
Look for someone known for the cosmetic dentistry you need.
Google is a great place to start when looking for a cosmetic dentist. You can find a list of cosmetic dentists and the services they provide, read reviews, browse their galleries and more. While some dentist clinics will offer a range of treatments, some will specialise in one particular area, like dental implants, veneers or teeth whitening.
On the website for a cosmetic dentist, look for their specific credentials, any recognition and if they have information about their team. This will help you get a feel for the business and if they may be a good fit for you and your oral health needs. At iSmile Dental, we want to help you feel as informed, prepared and comfortable with your dental treatment, ensuring you’re on your way to the smile you want.
Ask to see photos after their patient’s have healed.
As well as referrals, you should also ask your cosmetic dentist for photos of their patient’s work healed. By seeing the work healed, you can see how it has settled and will look long-term. You can then see if the work they produce is what you would be comfortable with for yourself.
Healed photos are a good indicator of the work a dentist provides. One of the aims in cosmetic dentistry is to produce natural results, so being able to see how they achieve this will help you feel more comfortable with your decision.
When being provided with photos, your dentist should be able to walk you through how that treatment may work or differ for you. This will allow you to gauge if your results will be similar or how they may be different.
Enquire about the materials they use.
Like any industry, dental materials are not all the same. Ask your cosmetic dentist about their processes and materials, if they have alternatives for preferences or allergies, and why they choose these specific materials. Some materials may be better for those on a budget, while others will offer the most natural look.
The role of your cosmetic dentist is to guide you on the right treatment and materials to use to get you the best results possible. If you have questions or concerns, ask them. Your ideal dentist should be able to answer your questions in a way you understand and settle any concerns with ease.
Go with who is transparent and makes you feel informed.
You want to feel confident your dentist is telling you what you need to know, not what you want to hear. If they feel like there may be a reason a particular option may not be the best for you, they should tell you. Cosmetic dentistry can be a big investment and change, so knowing all the pros and cons, and what to expect is incredibly important.
Frequently Asked Questions About Cosmetic Dentists
What are some factors a cosmetic dentist considers when creating a treatment plan?
When creating a cosmetic dentistry plan, you dentist should consider:
– Your unique goals for your smile.
– Your current oral health.
– Your facial features.
– The extent of the work required.
– The quality of materials to be used.
– The latest techniques and technology to be used.
Your cosmetic dentistry plan should be unique to you as your goals, oral health, facial features and situation are unique to you. It’s important to consult with a professional cosmetic dentist to evaluate your dental needs and determine the best course of action for your dental health.
What are some common challenges a cosmetic dentist may face when performing cosmetic procedures?
Some common challenges a cosmetic dentist faces include:
– Where the patient has unrealistic expectations about the results of the cosmetic dentistry treatment, which may lead to disappointment. It is the dentist’s role to properly inform you and set the right level of expectations so you are happy with the outcome.
– A dentist may face challenges where the patient has not been properly informed of what to expect before or after the treatment, which can lead to confusion and misunderstanding. As your cosmetic dentist, they should help prepare you for all potential outcomes, even those that may be slight.
– Dental anxiety, body dysmorphia and other psychological factors can affect the outcome of a procedure. Your dentist should give you the support you need, or refer you to where you can gain the best support to give you a positive outcome.
– Ensuring results look natural. This is why a cosmetic dentist must take so many factors into consideration, including your skin tone, facial structure and more, as these can all impact the way the end result looks.
– Providing medical safety in all situations, helping to perform the procedure safely and accurately without compromising on the patient’s health.
How can a dentist help you achieve the best results with cosmetic dentistry?
There are many ways your dentist can help you achieve the best results from your cosmetic dentistry treatment, including:
– Creating personalised treatment plans to tailor your treatment to you specifically.
– Utilising state-of-the-art technology, like digital imaging, which helps you be able to see with your own eyes the potential outcome of different treatments before committing to one.
– Listening with care to understand what it is you want to achieve and any potential challenges you or they may face in the treatment.
It’s important to consult with a professional cosmetic dentist to evaluate your dental needs and determine the best course of action for your dental health.